Tuesday 26 October 2010

Playlist

I never want to forget this playlist, so I'm putting it here.

Dear Mother- Cake Bake Betty
Baobabs- Regina Spektor
Grow Grow Grow- PJ Harvey
'81- Joanna Newsom
Today, Tuesday- Frida Hyvonen
Film III- Jorane
A Coral Room- Kate Bush
I Speak Because I Can- Laura Marling
Now At Last- Feist
Your Armor- Charlotte Martin
Metal Heart (Jukebox version)- Cat Power
Down The Road And Up The Hill- Regina Spektor
Graveyard- Tori Amos
The Apocalypse Song- St. Vincent
December- Regina Spektor
A Cannon- Regina Spektor


I didn't realise I had so much Regina on there, actually. Especially as I was trying to only have one song by each artist, but her stories are perfect in bad weather. Begin To Hope is summer for me, albeit an odd one, but songs like A Cannon followed by Just Like The Movies remind me of a rainy Sunday when I lived in Pontefract. I love music's power to transport us to the place we first truly clicked with it. Father Lucifer is the purple bedroom, Cornflake Girl is Anstruther street at six years old, Lifeblood by the Manics is a cold winter, Know Your Enemy is new year, We Walk is being scared on Thursdays when I was little in Scotland. There's so much. Leonard Cohen is sleeping and thinking he was telling us a story, Midwinter Graces is feeling giddy, Bad Religion is candy sticks. I love that all of these memories are so vivid that I can taste and smell and feel them, but almost nobody will ever have a clue what I mean. And I like that.

2 comments:

  1. You gave me a great idea. I might just steal your playlist and give it a go. And, the best thing about it is that it will probably suggest so many different things to me... :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Put it on shuffle if you do- it's not in any particular order :) xx

    ReplyDelete