Thursday 18 November 2010

'Never start a sentence with "because"'

Because I work at night, I have a lot of free time during the day. I never seem to appreciate this, and instead waste it sitting around being boring and basically waiting for it to get dark so I can go to work. Doing nothing in this way drains me of almost all my energy and spirit. But today I have loved every second of pottering about my flat, doing the dishes, eating, hanging my washing up, talking on the phone, listening to the Manics, reading and watching tv. Even on the days I hate (when I just plod along until I leave for work)I might do everything I just mentioned, but there's so much to be said for ENJOYING these things. I suppose we can't force enjoyment, but when it comes it's definitely worth the wait. I've been reading The Angel's Game in the living room without any tv or music in the background. I have a vanilla candle burning and the lamp is on.

The simple things are good. Like joining the library in town, borrowing a book, and reading it. I was happily surprised by how busy the library was. I had expected it to be unpleasantly silent and dreary, but instead I saw people scouring the shelves and stuffing books into their bags. It actually made me feel guilty for living in Hull since 2006 without joining, but now I'm a member. A childless adult member who intends to use their library card to mainly borrow Roald Dahl books.

No comments:

Post a Comment