Friday 19 March 2010

Original Sinsuality- Tori Amos
Signal To Noise- Peter Gabriel
My Body Is A Cage- Peter Gabriel
I Can't See New York- Tori Amos
Another Girl's Paradise- Tori Amos
Apres Moi- Regina Spektor
The Drop- Peter Gabriel
After The Ordeal- Genesis
Here Comes The Flood- Peter Gabriel
In Your Eyes- Peter Gabriel
Mercy Street- Peter Gabriel
Sky Blue- Peter Gabriel
Red Rain- Peter Gabriel

I can't see myself getting sick of this list in the near future. When I make playlists I completely hammer them until I have exhausted every possible combination on shuffle, every time of day to listen, every way to listen, every emotion to feel. This playlist would fit anything. Two of the songs, I Can't See New York and Signal To Noise, are major disappearing songs. I used to love lying on the floor with Heather in my Washington Street bedroom in the dark listening to I Can't See New York as loud as we could before the speakers would start to crackle with all the bass. That impact is beautiful. I get that with the Gabriel song too- from the strings and the despair that pours from it.

It's 1am and I am tired. I am eating parma violets and drinking cherryade like a child. I'm not homesick or wishing to be anywhere different because I feel wrapped up and loved and content. I have been reading A Flame in the Mearns: Lewis Grassic Gibbon A Centenary Celebration which was given to me by Margery Palmer McCulloch who actually edited the book. She signed it too but I forgot to photograph it for the signed book entry. I am ready to get completely absorbed in LGG and his work because, if all goes to plan, I will be writing a hell of a lot about him over the next few years.

I was going to write a blog based on this earlier but my computer died and I lost all my thoughts on the matter:

'In the Republic Plato famously complained that one reason why poetry often has such a bad moral influence on people is that it appeals to their emotions rather to their reason, the 'highest' part of the soul.'

I can't even remember the last poem I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment